Damage from Flooding- Helpful Hints
Monday, February 4, 2013
Water is the most common cause of property damage. It can invade your home or business as a result of a natural cause, such as a rainstorm, or one that is man-made, such as faulty plumbing. But regardless of how common or the source, damage from flooding can be devastating to a home or business. Water, and especially flooding, can cause rotting wood, rust, mold, and other types of destruction. Therefore, time is always of the essence when it comes to damage from flooding. A little forsight will allow you to act quickly and prevent more extensive damage from occurring.
The following are “helpful hints” if and when you are faced with water or damage from flooding in your home or business:
- Know where the main water shutoff is for your home or business. Do not wait until water is gushing out of control to try to locate this shutoff valve. It is essential that you know its location before you are faced with an emergency.
- If a water loss occurs, turn the water off first at the source of the problem, then at the main line, using the before mentioned shutoff valve.
- Try to pick up and move out anything valuable as quickly as possible. Water will “seek out” and “travel toward” dry areas- wet seeks dry.
- Do not touch any electrical appliances that are plugged in near or in the water. Most importantly, do not try to “suck up” water with a normal vacuum- this can cause electrocution.
- As soon as you have stopped the water flow and moved any valuables, call your insurance agent or insurance carrier to get a list of approved water damage restoration vendors. (These vendors have negotiated pricing with your insurance company, are properly licensed and insured, and know the appropriate techniques to remediate any water damage.)
- If a water, fire or mold remediation company asks you to sign an “assignment of benefits,” DO NOT SIGN IT- especially if you are being pressured to sign and do not understand the language written therein. Signing this document can put you in a disastrous position with respect to an insurance claim, should you choose to file one.
Joe Taylor Restoration is the preferred water, fire, and mold remediation vendor for over 35 insurance carriers in the South Florida market. We are able to assist you with any water related questions, and will provide the best in flood or water damage restoration services every time. When faced with damage from flooding, call Joe Taylor Restoration right away.