Damage from Flooding- Helpful Hints
Friday, February 21, 2020
Whether through personal experience or industry knowledge, most of us know by now that water is the most common cause of property damage. It can invade a home or business as the result of a natural cause, like a rainstorm, or one that is man-made, such as faulty plumbing.
But regardless of how common or the source, damage from flooding can be devastating to a home or business. Water, and especially flooding, can cause rotting wood, rust, mold, and other types of destruction. Therefore, time is always of the essence when it comes to damage from flooding. A little foresight can result in quicker reaction time, which can prevent more extensive damage from occurring.
The following are “helpful hints” if and when you are faced with water damage from flooding in your home or business:
– Locate the main water shutoff for your home or business. Do not wait until water is gushing out of control to try and pinpoint this shutoff valve. It is essential that you know its location before you are faced with an emergency.
– If a water loss occurs, turn the water off at the source of the problem first. Then, at the main line- using the before mentioned shutoff valve.
– Try to pick up and move out any valuable as quickly as possible. Water will “seek out” and “travel toward” dry areas- wet seeks dry.
– Do not touch any electrical appliances that are plugged in near or in the water. Most importantly, do not try to “suck up” water with a normal vacuum- this can cause electrocution.
– As soon as you have stopped the water flow and moved any valuables, call your insurance agent or insurance carrier to get a list of approved water damage restoration vendors. (These vendors have negotiated pricing with your insurance company, are properly licensed and insured, and know the appropriate techniques to remediate water damage.)
Joe Taylor Restoration is the preferred water, fire, mold, and biohazard remediation vendor for over 65 insurance carriers in the Florida market. We are able to assist you with any water related questions, and will provide the best in flood or water damage restoration services every time. When faced with damage from flooding, call Joe Taylor Restoration right away.