Fire Damage Tips
Thursday, May 2, 2019
Fire damage can be absolutely devastating for a home or business owner. To see the things you have worked so hard to build and protect quite literally go up in smoke can bring about feelings of deep loss, frustration and hopelessness.
It can help, however to know that there are companies, like Joe Taylor Restoration, who will work hard to salvage and restore what is left after a fire. We may not be able to replace treasured memories that were lost, but we can rid your home or business of harmful toxins, smoke, soot, and the like, and make it safe once again for your family and friends.
But what can you do to minimize the damage before the restoration experts arrive? The following are some fire damage tips that can help with the recovery process:
Fire Damage Tips: What To Do After A Fire
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
Fire Damage Tips: What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting a professional like Joe Taylor Restoration.
- Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don’t use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don’t send garments or upholstery to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor. Let fire damage experts direct you.
At Joe Taylor Restoration, we understand the delicate nature of fire damage restoration. We will handle your situation with the utmost care and compassion, while bringing the very best of our fire damage restoration knowledge and experience to the table. If you have a fire damage emergency, contact Joe Taylor Restoration.