Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Mold. Everybody likes it when it’s used to make their favorite Brie or Blue Cheese. But no one is a fan when it invades their home or business, bringing with it allergens, irritants, even potentially toxic substances, and posing health risks to occupants. But is there a way to keep it out of our properties? What is the secret to mold prevention? According to the EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency), the key to mold prevention is moisture control.
Moisture and Mold Prevention Tips:
- When water damage occurs in your home or business, ACT QUICKLY. If wet or damp areas and/or materials are dried 24-48 hours after a water loss, in most cases, mold will not grow.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes ACT QUICKLY to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation is often a sign of high humidity.
- To help prevent condensation, cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter- a small, inexpensive instrument available at many hardware stores.
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
- Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
- To keep mold from growing in the bathroom, run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering.
- Keep mold out of the kitchen by using exhaust fans or opening windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.
Many of the above tips for mold prevention are just good common sense. Unfortunately, often when we experience water damage or discover mold in our homes or businesses, common sense goes out the window and panic sets in. But there is no need to panic. Simply pick up the phone and call Joe Taylor Restoration right away.
If the problem is water damage, we will arrive at your property within two hours, assess the situation, and get to work drying everything, so as to keep mold from growing. But if mold is already thriving and even spreading, we will take care of that too. Our trained technicians will utilize the latest technology and consult with certified environmental hygienists to determine the source and variety of the mold, as well as the extent of the damage. Then, we will work quickly and carefully to rid the environment of harmful airborne toxins and restore it to its previous state.
For more information, please visit the Mold Removal page of our website, or call us at 888-814-1455.